Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana announced that East Jefferson General Hospital is a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement.
Blue Distinction is an innovative quality designation developed by Blue Cross Blue Shield that helps consumers and their physicians find medical facilities that have a demonstrated expertise in specialty care. These recognized healthcare providers must meet objective, evidence-based thresholds for clinical quality, developed in collaboration with expert physicians and medical organizations.
"East Jefferson General Hospital is very proud that our Joint Replacement program has been recognized by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana," notes Dr. Mark Peters, EJGH President and Chief Executive Officer. "This designation honors the high standards our orthopedic surgeons, nurses, physical therapists, pharmacists, and the many other professionals supporting orthopedic care at East Jefferson."
The selection criteria used in designating Blue Distinction Centers for Knee and Hip Replacement include:
- An established knee and hip replacement program, performing required annual volumes
- An experienced knee and hip replacement surgery team, including board certified physicians, subspecialty fellowship training, and required case volumes for knee and hip replacement procedures
- An established acute care inpatient facility, including intensive care, emergency care, and a full range of patient support services
- Full accreditation by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid-deemed national accreditation organization
- A comprehensive quality management program
- Pre-operative patient education
- Processes that support transitions of care
- Clinical outcomes that meet objective thresholds for specific procedures such as complication rates and length of stay