Prior to beginning a workout, it is important to consume foods and beverages that will prepare your body and its system for the activity or activities that are to come. When you begin working out you want to be certain that, first of all, you are properly hydrated, then you need to be sure that you have enough energy to get through your workout without being exhausted.
Certain types of food and beverages are better than others for helping you get through that workout. Fueling your body properly pre-workout, will aid in a productive workout. Here are five of the top foods and beverages that can help you prep for a workout:
- Water - Start hydrating two to three hours before training. Aim for at least 16 ounces (two cups) of fluid at this time, and an additional eight ounces (one cup) 10 to 20 minutes prior to your workout.
- Trail mix - The dried fruit will provide you with healthy sugars for a quick energy boost, while the seeds and nuts will prevent your insulin level from dropping.
- Bananas - high in potassium but also a quick energy source
- Carbohydrate gel packs - They provide a dose of concentrated carbs that are absorbed into your bloodstream faster. Ideal for runners and any other athletes who require quick bursts of energy to make it through high-intensity workouts.
- Whey Protein - quick-digesting protein, which means your body will quickly get the amino acids it needs