Proteins are among the key nutrients we need to survive and be healthy. They play an important role in the body's metabolic and digestive processes. For one thing, during the metabolic process, they break down into essential amino acids which provide the body with the energy it needs to perform tasks and necessary functions.
Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin and blood. It also helps produce essential enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals.
Here is a list of five of the top foods for obtaining proteins:
- Chicken - Easily prepared by grilling or baking. Excellent source of protein, and low in fat
- Salmon - Low in calories and saturated fat, yet high in protein, and the health-promoting fat, omega-3 essential fatty acids
- Eggs - Cheap way to get lean protein. One egg contains 6 grams of high-quality protein and all 9 essential amino acids and only 1.5 grams of saturated fats. Contrary to previous belief, moderate consumption of eggs does not have a negative impact on cholesterol.
- Barramundi - Low mercury, low calorie, mild flavored white fish that is high in protein and omega 3 fish oil
- Greek yogurt - Great for vegetarians with more protein than the average American yogurt. Since it is strained, the protein content is concentrated, providing an average of 20g per cup as opposed to 8g per cup for the American style