Per serving: 285 calories, 35.7g protein, 6.1g carbohydrate, 3.2g dietary fiber, 12.9g total fat (3.6g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium
Carbohydrate choices: 0.4
Chipotle paste keeps for months in the refrigerator, great to have on hand, ready to add a quick shot of smoky heat and brick-red color to many foods. To make it, just purée a can of "chipotle peppers in adobo sauce" (stocked with the Latin imports at most supermarkets) in a food processor or blender.
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon chipotle paste (see headnote)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- One 1-pound boneless sirloin steak, about 1½ inches thick
- Nonstick spray to coat grill
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
MASH the garlic into a paste with the cumin and oregano. Add the chipotle paste and limejuice. Rub all over the steak; refrigerate for several hours or overnight, covered airtight.
LIGHT A FIRE in a charcoal or gas grill; coat the grate with nonstick spray. Grill the steak, turning once, for about 4 minutes per side (medium rare), or until done to your taste. Let rest for 3 minutes. Trim off all fat; then cut against the grain into thin slices. Serve with sliced tomatoes and avocado.