Per serving: 148 calories, 2.2g protein, 23.2g carbohydrate, 1.3g dietary fiber, 5.1g total fat (2.3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, Carbohydrate choices: 1.5
It's not as sweet, or nearly as rich, but this simple knockoff is a lot easier to make than the famous flaming dessert. So easy, in fact, that there's no need to wait for a special occasion. Try the same technique with apples and brandy (or apple juice).
- 2 medium-sized ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons 80-proof rum (see note, below) *
- 1 tablespoon trans fat-free spread, such as Smart Balance®
- 1 pint low-fat, no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream
CUT the bananas diagonally into ½-inch pieces. Center them on a 12-inch square of aluminum foil. Sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon; drizzle with the rum or orange juice; dot with the spread. Pinch together the top and sides of the foil to make a watertight packet.
POUR 2 or 3 inches of water into a medium saucepan fitted with a steamer insert or a metal steamer basket. Bring to a boil; then reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer. Place the packet in the steamer and cover the pot.
STEAM for 12 minutes. Remove the packet; carefully puncture it to release any steam. (Protect your hands!)
OPEN the packet over a bowl to catch all the juices. Spoon the warm bananas and sauce around scoops (each about 1/3 cup) of low-fat, no-sugar added vanilla ice cream.
* Use orange or pineapple juice in place of rum, if you prefer.