Per serving: 70 calories, 2.3g protein, 8.8g carbohydrate, 1.9g dietary fiber, 3.3g total fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, Carbohydrate choices: 0.6
To peel fresh tomatoes, score an X on each bottom with a sharp knife, blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds, then drop into a bowl of ice water. Pull off the skins with your fingers.
- 2 tablespoons trans fat-free spread, such as Smart Balance®
- 3 slices whole grain bread, grated for 2 cups coarse crumbs
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, cut into ½-inch slices
- Dried Italian herbs (or a mix or dried basil and oregano)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Splenda®
- ¼ cup minced sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
PREHEAT the oven to 350°F. Melt 1 tablespoon of the spread; drizzle over the breadcrumbs; toss to coat well. Sprinkle ½ cup of the crumbs in an 11-by-9-inch baking dish. Cover with half of the tomatoes, slices overlapping.
Sprinkle the tomatoes with the dried herbs and black pepper; then half each of the parsley, Splenda®, and onion. Repeat to make a second layer, beginning with ½ cup of the crumbs.
DRIZZLE the second tablespoon of melted spread over the remaining crumbs; add the Parmesan; toss to coat; spread atop the casserole. Bake until browned and bubbly, 1 hour.