Per serving: 71 calories, 2.1g protein, 11g carbohydrate, 2.9g dietary fiber, 2.7g total fat (0.4g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, Carbohydrate choices: 0.7
Traditional gazpacho is blended until smooth, enriched with plenty of olive oil and bread crumbs. This light and chunky version, enlivened by V-8® juice and Tabasco® sauce, makes a refreshing snack or first course. For a bigger meal, top each bowl with cooked shrimp or crawfish tails.
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- ½ yellow or red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ small Vidalia or sweet red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup V-8® juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon for garnish
- Tabasco® or another hot sauce
- Celery seed for garnish (optional)
CUT the tomatoes in half crosswise; squeeze lightly to remove the seeds and pulp. Chop the seeded tomatoes finely. Place them in a serving bowl with the cucumber, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Stir in the V-8® juice, vinegar, and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Season to taste with hot sauce.
COVER the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or for up to 24 hours. Just before serving, stir well and taste; adjust the hot sauce, if necessary.
LADLE the soup into chilled bowls. Sprinkle with celery seed and parsley. Drizzle each serving with ¼ teaspoon olive oil.