Description of Measure
Educating patients with ischemic stroke and hemorrhagic stroke and their caregivers about stroke care and prevention helps patients live healthier lives and reduces health care costs.
Why is this Important?
During the hospital stay, hospital staff should give stroke patients and caregivers written information on:
- How to activate the hospital emergency system
- The importance of doing follow-up after being released from the hospital
- Medicines prescribed at discharge
- What increases the chance of stroke
- Warning signs and symptoms of stroke
This measure shows the percentage of patients with an ischemic stroke or a hemorrhagic stroke or their caregivers who received written information about these topics during their hospital stay.
Click image for larger chart.
All descriptions and data sources are reported from Hospital Compare.
Data reported are based on discharges from First Quarter 2013 through Third Quarter 2013