Blood Bank Offering Breaux Mart Gift Card for the 2016 Holidays
The holidays are a time for giving, and now, at The Blood Bank at East Jefferson General Hospital, when you give blood, you will also receive!
Donate anytime starting during this holiday season and you will receive a $12 gift card valid at any Breaux Mart grocery store to use towards your purchase (while supplies last).
The Blood Bank Donation Center is located on the second floor of the Domino Pavilion. It is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday from 8 to 11:30 a.m. Walk-ins are welcomed but appointments are encouraged for your convenience.
To make an appointment, call 504-503-5691.
Give Blood-Save a Life
Did you know at East Jefferson General Hospital more than 1,000 units of blood and blood components are transferred each month but only 20 percent comes from our own donor center? The Blood Bank, an accredited Advancing Transfusion and Cellular Therapies Worldwide (AABB) facility, acquires the remaining 80 percent from outside sources. The consequences of an inadequate blood supply can be life threatening. Blood donations can only come from a human blood donor. Volunteer blood donors make the difference, ensuring that there will be blood available when it is needed by our patients.
Who can donate blood?
In order to donate, you should be at least 17 years old and weigh over 110 pounds. You should be in good health, with no history of AIDS, hepatitis, heart disease or certain types of cancer. Most prescription drugs are acceptable for blood donations. If unsure regarding your prescription, please call the Blood Bank. All blood types are needed and valuable.
How easy is it to donate?
The whole process takes 30 minutes. Bring your ID and eat before you donate. There will be a questionnaire form to fill out regarding your medical history. A free mini-physical will be performed, where we check your temperature, pulse, blood pressure and hemoglobin level. The actual donation will take approximately 10 minutes. Now your blood is ready to help save a life!
Donate platelets - save a life.
Platelets are small cells which are made in the bone marrow and released into the bloodstream to help control bleeding. People with certain illnesses, especially cancer, have difficulty producing enough platelets and require frequent platelet transfusions. With a storage life of only 5 days, platelets donations are continually needed in order to maintain an adequate inventory for the needs of our patients.
Who can donate platelets?
Requirements for platelet donations are similar to the blood donation requirements. However, no aspirin-containing products can be ingested within three days of donation.
How do I donate platelets?
The whole process takes approximately 60 minutes. A platelet count is done prior to the donation. During the platelets transfusion, less than one pint of blood is removed from your arm. Please call the Blood Bank for more information regarding platelet donation.
The Blood Bank Donation Center is located on the second floor of the Domino Pavilion. It is open Monday through Friday from 8am to 6 pm, and Saturday from 8am to 11:30am. Walk-ins are welcomed but appointments are encouraged for your convenience.